Sunday, March 31, 2019

Hard Push to Run 5 km in 32 mins 19 seconds

Time is in short supply as I reduce my running to quality runs. But I was desperate to try the Kayanos 25 as I had just bought them a few days ago. So today, 31st March 2019, I skipped ('pontang' in local slang) my karate class which normally runs from 6 pm to 7.30 pm to run 5 km at 7.02 pm and boy I was eager to see how the shoes held up.

I took off at a quick pace (by my standards anyway) to reach the edge of the forest at about 3 minutes, I then went on to do 10 pretty fast laps inside the forest and headed up back towards the start of the forest trail (I actually have all these recorded in my Polar M 430 so for privacy purposes cant post it here).

On to Goldhill Avenue and then onto Mount Rosie Terrace, at the end of that road onto Mount Rosie and head all the way down to Whitley Road, past the Tanglin CC. I thought about giving the signboard a tremendous 'whack' to show my determination but decided against it so as to conserve energy. 

The run along Whitley road was mainly under some structure (the authorities are building roofing structures over the pedestrian walkways to minimise the pedestrians from getting wet !  Unbelievable but True !) and finally I was on Bukit Timah road and heading back to Goldhill Avenue.

Bam ! I froze the stopwatch at 32 mins 19 seconds ; I was literally out of breath and had hit my maximum heart rate of 172 beats / minute and the maximum km speed was 5.59 minutes per kilometre.

The avearge speed was 6.47 min per km which in my opinion is pretty good for a 56 year old runner ! 

Carpe Diem !  




Selfie taken at Hong Kong Park July 2018



  


No comments: