Sunday, March 24, 2019

Watching My Goldfish Swim is Therapeutic



These are the 6 teenage (I think they are young in terms of goldfish age) goldfish. Fantail breed, they are either fully orange in colour, some mix of white and orange colour and somewhat fat. I have taken care of these 6 ; starting from 2 just before the Chinese New Year for 2 months now and watching them swim happily and playing with each other without a care in the world is in a word, therapeutic.

The golden rules of rearing goldfish :

a) Never overfeed them. I only feed them once a day, approximately 6 pellets of speical fish food

b) Chlorine is the killer ; hence, I put in at least 0.2 litres of anti-chlorine formula into the water every time I change water in the water feature outside my home. The frequency of water change varies depending on how murky the water has become. There is a preponderance of algae growth along the walls of the water feature or pong, and algae being plant like, give out oxygen during the  daytime and hence oxygenates the water.

c) Pump must be kept on to provide filtration as well as oxygen to the water.

So far, they have survived 2 odd months. I will try to maintain keeping 8 happy goldfish for as long as possible as watching them swim gives me some tranquility in the soul.   

No comments: