Saturday, August 8, 2020

Morse Code ; a 100 year old 'language' ; I just learnt it for fun

 


In the days of the smart phone, people are dumbing down, because everything is within reach of your handphone. Many people take for granted basic methodologies like mathematics, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. I have also noticed a decline in cognitive thinking and rational debates either in the spoken word or in essays. 

Yuval Noah Harari's prediction that the world is gravitating towards a superclass of humans (called Alpha Humans) who control everything in the world using Artificial Intelligence and Biometrics. Robots will be the Working Class,  eventually taking over menial and repetitive jobs such as driving (cars, buses, Grab and Uber), navigating (Google Maps), food delivery (Food Panda, Uber Eats and Grab Food to name 3), cleaning, data entry, big data and so on.

At the bottom, there will be grow a subclass (underclass) of humans with nothing to do. It is scarily prescient but its only still in the distant future.
 
In addition, there are many apps such as Grammerly which help you with phrasing, punctuation and horrors, in the domain of end to end encrypted communication such as Whatsapp, and Snapchat, there are these horrible things called emoticons which - you guessed it - give emotion to our boring phrases, IF we can even be bothered with writing in grammatically correct and syntax free sentences.

So, we are subconciously being dumbed down, to becoming unthinking, lazy beings.

I DO NOT WANT THAT ; Not in my lifetime.

Hence, I have decided to learn languages with my free time (my target is to learn 5 speaking and writing fluently) , and this is my hobby and target.

Starting with Morse Code, a useful code language whereby through a series of dots and dashes you can write out, albeit slowly, sentences when you do not have a handphone and the next person is quite a distance and there are some physical structures such as walls, or metal structures between the both of you.

Its so fun, and I have developed my way of memorising the dots and dashes and now I am looking for a Morse Code group to try out my latest language ! 





No comments: