Saturday, June 22, 2024

Gum disease - floss floss and more floss. There is hope in Dental Implants.

Yesterday I had my right molar taken out. It took the dentist a whole one hour to execute the procedure. So, at a ripe young age of 61 I have lost one of my key teeth. Painful, yes, but not overly so.

The fact of the matter is that I have been suffering from gum disease for some time. Therefore,  when the gum gets infected by years, no decades of poor dental health, the accumulation of food deposits, harden and become plaque. My poor or spotty record of visiting dentists and hoping against hope that somehow I would be able to live to a ripe old age with all my teeth intact is a pipe dream.

Many people are in that denial mode. The faster you can come and realise that regular brushing of teeth is INSUFFICIENT and that the following are necessary 



Daily

Brushing 2 times minimum

Flossing x 2 between teeth. - I use an interdental brush which looks a little like a miniature bottle brush only that it is easy to push it between the teeth. For the premolars and molars, its more difficult. 

Every 6 months

Visit my dentist

I have been recalcitrant here, so I will try not to repeat my mistake again. 

My gum disease was first detected in 2019, preCOVID and now a good 5 years later, I have lost 1 tooth to it. I am determined to keep as many of my teeth till my old age hence I will study and take all the necessary health supplements and do the necessary oral hygiene daily and 6 monthly and hope for a good outcome for the years ahead.

Growing old is inevitable, growing old with the best quality of life is totally up to you.

No comments: