Wednesday, May 14, 2008

And Now for the Good News - 6 months till Ski Season !!


This past week, we have had the double whammy of natural disasters,the Nargis Cyclone in Myanmar (4th May)and
2 days ago the Earthquake in Szechuan, China (12th May).Rather than focus on the imminent since that's what papers are
for,I thought I would write about something totally irrelavant.

Its only 6 months till the next Ski Season ! Last year (9 - 15 Dec) we went to the Vivaldi Park Ski Resort in Daemyung
Chuncheon,South Korea. Organised inexpensively by YMCA it is a ski camp for beginner and intermediate skiiers.The
photo shows the Intermediate slope and we stayed at the resort for 4 nights on a quad (4) or quin (5) sharing basis.

The experience is great especially for all of us from the boys (13 and 10) who took up the Snowboarding and
managed to slither down the wide gentle slopes easily by the 3rd day. My wife and I took the ski classes ably trained
by Andy,our ski instructor who is an undergrad training to be an anaesthesist. As I had a prior taste in 2006, I was
very keen to improve my skiing and have my karate and running experience to thank for my quick progress in this new
sport. We plan to go to Hokkaido Japan this December 2008.

The ski experience ? It is the overall coordination utilising hands,legs (particularly the knees),balance,eyes and
back to navigate the slopes and avoid all manner of obstacles like fallen skiers, snowboarders,bumps and slippery
snow and requiring to appear graceful and not fall flat on your face or tumble down the slope.It is definately
NOT for the couch potato as some level of fitness and balance is absolutely necessary.

This year is the Blue or (maybe?) Black Diamonds at Hokkaido for us !! Ceong ah !

No comments: