Saturday, May 3, 2008

Karate as Sport


In the modern context,Martial Arts are considered as one of the myriad of many sports options available to us.For my own fitness strategy, I decided on Karate Shitoryu style for 2 basic reasons :

1. To provide a flexibility regimen to my running which is normally leaves me stiff after a 10km run
2. To finish a goal which I promised myself when young to attain a Black Belt in Karate

I first took up Karate during my teens from 1973 - 1978 at the YMCA Palmer Road (SKF), under the tutelage
of a Mr. Steven, and were trained at the open basketball court and covered court.I stopped during my
Junior College days after achieveing a Full Brown at Junior level having failed to attain the Black Belt
during the grading then. It bothered me that I had left something unfinished.

I have been training under Sensei Chia Kwek Fah of Ken Shin Kai Club for the last 6 years at Tanglin
Community Club off Whitley Road. Having attained my Black Belt 1st Dan status in January 2007,I am
now enjoying the 1x a week trainings as part of my fitness program as well as the camaderie and
social oportunities from meeting with people from all walks of life.

Sensei Chia is a multi-talented man. He is 7th Dan, a Certified Trainer and Sports Psychologist as
well as the past Team Manager for Karate for Team Singapore in the 2005 SEA Games.

Karate has many aspects to it :
1. The focus on fitness, discipline,concentration and robustness when performing poses.
2. The aggression and quick mindedness during kumite or free sparring
3. The concentration and control using inner strength and crispness of execution during kata or form

All in all, it is a never ending pursuit of the ultimate combination of strength,flexibilty,quick
mindedness and balance to ward off potential attacks from agressors and counter the attacks
with equal force.

The Katas I learnt are the equivalent of the dance steps of the Foxtrot or the Waltz.

It is the manifestation and display of Human Creativity - a dynamic Art with the aim of
Self Defence.

No comments: