Sunday, November 9, 2008

1 month to SC marathon - I am in trouble



The picture says it all, a long road ahead, it is sunset, the last rays of the day Sunday 9th November are at an ebb. I have just finished only 8km of the Nassim Road route (2 laps) and my body or specifically my knee, is telling me to stop.
I have to adjust my left leg so that it pronates inwards to compensate for the strain on m knee.Not a good sign.

I have finished 2 loops of 4km each today and as I had experienced some nagging pain,which is due to a strain on my Illiotibial Band - the ligament running from the outside of each knee, I decided against finishing my targetted 12km distance.

This week I have completed the following :
- Monday Rest ;
- Tuesday 8 km Goldhill
- Wednesday Rest
- Thursday 6 km in KL gym
- Friday 8 km Goldhill Avenue
- Saturday Rest
- Sunday 8 km Nassim

Total : 30 km , a far cry from the 50 - 60km needed to log before a marathon

My thoughts are about my injury and whether I should stop and give my tired body,especially my knee, a rest.
The surest way to recover is to employ the RICE method :

R est ; Take a few months complete no running rest
I ce - Ice the affected area
C ompression - Provide some Bandaging to the affected area
E lavation - Lift up the leg when sleeping

This week I will formally decide whether to proceed with my marathon on 7th December or skip and rest
till my injury heals.

No comments: