Sunday, April 15, 2018

My Return to Running after a 3 week layoff due to injury


A hard earned time of 35 minutes 42 secs for a 5 km in the searingly humid late morning

I do not wish to fish for compliments, I do not wish for accolades. Some 3 weeks ago, I hurt my anterior crucia ligament or ACL during a routine karate training. It felt like I had the tendon ripped out of me. We had the exercise to train flexibility and the trainees were made to lie on the floor, prone with our front facing the ceiling. Our sensei or instructor then asked us to stand up as fast as possible from the prone position but without using our hands, hence the use of stomach and oblique muscle groups etc.

After about 4 or 5 of these scramble to get up, I felt a sharp pain on my left knee. Damn ! It was stiff and so painful to even bend the knee, such was the pain. I immediately stopped and decided to sit out the rest of the training.

The last 3 weeks have been just taking it easy, and totally not running. To me, as I have mentioned countless times, for me to run is as natural as breathing. If I can't run, a major part of my physiology is taken away. An expression of myself.  

I decided to apply the RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) technique which I had used successfully years ago. Rest the leg, turn and not apply pressure on the affected joint. 
After several days, I was able to sit normally with minimal pain. I took the Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM Sulphate tablets with renewed enthusiasm.

After about 1 week of complete rest (I was frustrated but what can I do ?), I was able to do some light exercises such as karate stretching and some tentative katas. Katas are 'form' exercises which practitioners embark to show they have the technique of stances, kicking, blocking and punching properly. It was an uphill struggle but I was determined to improve.

And slowly but surely I did improve.

So yesterday morning, 14 April 2018. I felt strong and flexible enough to try a 5 km run. I started out at the Robertson Quay side area and ran all the way to the Marina Bay Sands Helix bridge. I had intended to run 6 km at least, but the heat got to me. It was 10.20 am when I started and I wanted to show to myself that I was getting 'back into the groove'.

I ran the way from Robertson Quay, Clarke Quay and past the Asian Civilisations Museum opposite the Boat Quay and towards the MBS. At the Helix bridge 3 km mark, I turned around. It was hot but my leg showed no sign of ache - which was indeed something to celebrate about.

Running back to my start point, I playfully photobombed Chinese tourists taking selfies along the waterfront and lifted my legs high up into the air like a frenzied teenager. It was great !!!! 



So, back to the start point, I stopped and recorded the time for posterity. I am so glad and humbled that I can run again.

I plan to do another 10 marathons before father time tells me to stop 

Carpe Diem !   

  

No comments: