Saturday, April 28, 2018

Sat 28th April Run at ECP - reflections

Start Point at CarPark B1 at East Coast Park
10.20 am

Front 4 km 
(start at B1 Carpark and return to B1 Carpark)
Body pushed to the limit
Sun's incessant rays on my skin
White shades cover my eyes and brows
I start rather quickly knowing I have to finish early
Headwind pushing against my body
Press On ! I say to my 55 year old frame
On the return I will get tailwind 
Each km the pace is incessant; 
7 : 07 ; 6:54, 6:35 ; 6 :45 ; the numbers flow through ceaseless through my head
Average pace : 6 : 36 min / km, Fastest pace : 5 : 25 min / km 
HR goes up from 72 to 161 to 171 (or 102% of my maximum)
I feel I am 25 again and as I rush past the strollers, the casual runners, the prams, 
Kids in tricycles,elderly on a weekend jaunt, lovers out for a stroll
Time stands still... God has opened my third eye.
Everything is crystal clear, the day, the time, the air, the sounds of the birds, the trees rustling
I reach the 4 km mark. Pumped out of air from my lungs
I stop and gaze at the azure sea out in the distance. I never focus, it is too damn hot

Front 4 km 

I walk to the toilet for a pee break and see some guys milling around
They are from the Corrective Work Order team
The guys who have to do social service for littering. Hmm its still in force albeit with little fanfare
Donning balck polo shirts with silver aluminium logos, one guy gives me a wan smile
He doesn't want to be there but has to 
Social work order in sunny orderly Singapore



      Back 4 km data


Return 4 
I push again like there is no tomorrow (sad but true)
Again my heart is beating like crazy
Average HR 172 and maximum of 180 or 109% of my 180 maximu,
I am feeling superhuman !
Calories burnt 410 kcal.
I am running on literally empty
No breakfast just water and coffee for the morn
Average page 6 : 58 min /km 
I am tiring fast
Press On ! says my ever relentless mind
ECP is pretty flat but my hope of a tailwind as I turned on the back 4 evaporated
Arid air greets my nostrils 
I am now speeding from tree cover to tree cover and watching my pace - Garmin M430
To avoid the blistering heat I run ever faster, an oxymoron of an idea whose time had come
Soon the numbers were out there, 6 :57.8 and best time of 6 :41.8.
Flashing in front of me 
I take off my running vest and run half naked
Hookah hay ! I scream in my mind like Johnny West in Beano 
I go to overdrive
Every labored breath, every ache in my body,every bead of sweat
They send me one clear and present message 

"Today I am so alive !!!!" 

Each breath that I take will be a joy , every sip of water will be champagne ,each morsel of food will taste like manna or food from God !

This is the Runners High. 
When you are near death, you will experience it like never before

It is an out of this world experience !!! 



The Reward : Guilt Free Dining with Sauvignon Blanc (2) 




No comments: