Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Section Leader Course and Artilerry NCO course ; Brutally tough



A rare smile during training 

After the first 12 weeks BMT course, we were given a passing out parade, where our parents were invited. It wasn't anything special, and I believe both my Mum and Dad came to witness it. The BMT was a real change from the civillian me to the soldier me. The first 2 weeks of BMT we had 'confinement' where we had to stay in our bunks or confined on Saturdays and Sundays instead of having the privilege of 'booking out' of camp which most soldiers or NSMen get to do. 

During our time (early 1980s till 2000s) we had the 44 hour work week, so we had training for the full 5 and a half days, Saturday being a half day. In fact it was more than 44 hours a week, as most evenings we had night training. The schedule for every company was rotated so every company did something different during the same time of the day, so that the camp's resources were used effectively.

Soon after BMT, I was posted to SISL or Special Infantry Section Leader's course at Pasir Laba camp in Jurong for 12 weeks (if I recall correctly). Somehow during the callup for the various companies, my name was missed out and I ended up in Lima company.

Again the training was psychologically tough, and we had many practices, such as Standard Obstacle Course, the Physical Fitness Test,Rifle Ranges, camoflaging, marching drills, bayonet fighting, FIBUA, FIFO everything which the combat soldier was trained to do. 

At the end of the course, I was posted to the very tough Artillery NCO course. This was 12 weeks of brutal training where, the first part was to toughen us up with the basic Arty drills, to boost up our physical fitness. I had slimmed down even more, another 10 pounds, or so, and could easily do 8 to 12 chin-ups by that time.

The 12 weeks course was split into 2 segments, the first 4 weeks were spent at Kangaw camp, and the remaining 8 weeks were at the 21 SA in Mandai camp.The date was around end June 1981 till early October 1981. 

I will not go into details but it was the toughest mental and physical challenge I have and ever had to go through. I was just 18. 

We finished the toughest training all in one piece. Some of our trainees did not complete, I believe about a quarter (perhaps 4 to 5) could not complete the course due to injury or just mentally too tough to handle. 

By the end of October  1981 I was a newly minted Artillery NCO. 

   



No comments: