Thursday, April 2, 2020

Skiing - One amazing whole body workout sport ; this was in 2011 in Tomamu Resort Hokkaido



I love skiing as a winter sport. As my body is past its peak, I have to accept that my knees may not be able to take the swerving and turning at such high speeds coupled with the incline of the slope. But with the swishing of each 'S' curve and the cold wind blowing in my ears, it is an exhilarating experience !!!
  
Tomamu Resort in Hokkaido Japan 2011 was the 4th time we went skiing having first had a taste of it in 2006 in Korea. The next 2 - 3 years we did 2 ski camps in Korea, 2007 and 2010. I recall I reached Intermediate level and could ski down Intermediate slopes with little difficulty. 

Then we went for 2 wonderful ski trips first in 2011 Tomamu resort and then the last one (regrettably) we visited Rusutsu in Hokkaido in December 2012.  

Let me be clear about this sport ;

You need to be physically fit and core strong as when you fall, you need to get up from an inclined slope and most likely lying on your side.Additionally, the energy required to ski for a whole day will easy burn off 1000 over calories from the moment you put on your skis to then trudging and skiing somewhat to the skilift station 

Wear a good helmet, this is really important to prevent any novice, or intermediate skier to encounter a serious concussion or even death. The great Michael Schumacher went into coma for many years after a skiing accident and all but shortened  his useful successful life first as an F1 driver and then as a celebrity.  

Take lessons. YMCA has good ski camps for 5 - 6 days in total, mainly to Korea and 
Japan and I strongly recommend going for them. They have all expenses paid trips which include the airfare, ski resort, group ski instruction and then coaching from beginner to intermediate. 

Buy your own ski clothes and ski goggles. Hygiene is most important. Enough said

Rent skiis from the resort till you are at an expert level or advanced enough then decide to buy custom skis. 

I am good or fit enough for perhaps another 10 years max. So I hope and pray I can still ski another couple of times. 




No comments: