Monday, April 29, 2019

1 Michelin Star Hawker Food - Hawker Chan at Smith Street Chinatown


Roast Pork Noodle with Bean Sprouts Option


Saturday 27th April saw me at my favourite breakfast haunts in Chinatown. Normally I would head for the Frog Porridge Tong Chian at Kheong Saik Street but today, there was some roadworks which I felt would spoil the dining experience so I headed for the Michelin Bib Goumand Hawker Chan just next door at the shophouse along Smith Street just before the Smith Street market.

There was hardly any queue, so I tried my luck and waited barely 5 minutes from the prompt point of sales lady taking the order. Inside the restaurant, I ordered the roast pork Mee Kia (small yellow ones) noodles with some vegetable and marinated in oyster sauce. 

This dish cost me all of $6.50. 

The noodles were 'springy' and individually separate which is what well made noodles are all about. The flavour was just nice and the sauce was not too overpowering nor salty.

The roast port was abit on the fatty side, and I opted to take out the middle portion which was all fat and just eat the leaner meat. It was well roasted, with the skin as the crunchy bit, and the pork meat very tender and flavourful. 


 The Banner outside states his Achievement 

The bean sprouts were also quite crunchy and tasty, with some fried garlic as garnishing.
The side dish costs some S$ 3.50 so all in all my breakfast cost me S$ 10. In EUR it would cost EU 6.00 and US$ perhaps US$ 7.00.


Red lanterns at the Entrance
Chef Chan was at the eatery and I was taken by how small and unassuming he was. The great ones are always very humble and hardworking always finding ways to perfect their craft and enhance the customer experience. I guess that is why the Ikigai or the perfection in all the workers tasks is always at the core of any successful business.

The customer experience MUST be 100 % perfect.  

Famous for his Soya Sauce Chicken Noodle and Rice 

My rating for the dining experience :

1. Food     : 4.5 / 5 ; very decent price and very tasty noodles and roast pork
2. Service : 4. 0 / 5 Cannot complain as this is not fine dining
3. Ambience : 3.5 / 5  It is airconditioned and the staff clear the plates from the tables 
                                  pretty quickly 
4. Satisfaction : 4.5 / 5  I am a HAPPY CAMPER 

OVERALL : 16.5 / 20 or 4.125 / 5 ;  Yes I would come again.

Tourists who want to try authentic santised pretty good local food in an airconditioned setting, Chef Chan is recommended for those who want to try very good local food without having to dodge the crowds at the hawker centres.  

LIAO FAN HAWKER CHAN
78 Smith Street (corner shophouse)
Singapore 058972
.


No comments: