Friday, April 19, 2019

Tiong Bahru Wonton Noodles Lee Hong Ji - My Review

At the far end of the Hawker Center on 2nd Floor to the left of the Lift Access 


This is my regular Wonton Noodles stall at Tiong Bahru. Run by a family of 3 - 4 men, their wanton noodles is actually a combination of dry Mee Kia (thin yellow) noodles which has been quick dipped in a boiler container of stock, and then dished out. There will be several slices of Char Siew (roast pork slices with the yellow Char Siew (sweet roast) sauce for a fantastic sweet and sour flavouring.

Accompanying the meal is the Wonton Dumpling Soup

Accompanying the noodles is some boiled chye sim vegetable, which is crunchy at first bite and a bowl of wonton (3 pieces) which is essentially pork minced with some turnip and water chestnut to give it that crunchy and slighty sweet taste. The noodles are prepared early in the morning to perfection and wrapped with dumpling wrap (rice flour I believe).

For $3.50, I am reminded of home and no place in the world serves the wonton noodles as good as this stall in my opinion. My wife and I normally share 1 plate (we eat less nowadays) and the taste is really out of this world.

My rating :

1. Food : 5.5 / 5  - well its too good, so I am biased ! 
2. Service : 3 / 5   - well hawkers are not Michelin restaurants, so service is more hi and buy
3. Ambience : 3.5/5  - the hawker centre is normally not crowded at the times I frequent.

Total : 4  / 5 

Singapore Tourist Promotion Board wants to induct the Hawker Culture as a National Heritage with the UNESCO approval, hence I would say our hawker foods are on par and sometimes better than the Michelin starred restaurants ( I am biased of course) at food taste and quality.

LEE HONG KEE HAWKER STALL (2ND FLOOR TIONG BAHRU HAWKER CENTRE)
#02 - 60 
30 Seng Poh Road (Tiong Bahru Market)
Singapore 168898 

No comments: