Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Shek Kee - Bib Gourmand serving Hearty Cantonese Fare at Decent prices

One of their signature dishes. 

Shek Kee is a rather unobtrusive small eatery in the district of Tin Hao. I went there 2 years ago during the day time and tried one of their signature dishes, braised beef with tomoato puree and rice. It has made the list of Michelin Bib Gourmand but to be honest, its not a place where I would really make my way to eat.  


Tin Hao is the station next to Causeway Bay 

I guess it made the list of Bib Gourmand because in the evening, the place turns into something of a private kitchen and the chef then cooks whatever is in season to the lucky patrons, for a very reasonable price. Unfortunately for me, I came at the 'off peak' time and hence was not too impressed with the food. 



Perhaps if I am next time staying in the vicinity I may be tempted to visit it in the evening and try for myself what is so outstanding about this eatery. 

There are many Jiu Chow (Teochew) restaurants such as Pak Lok, and Lei Garden which will bowl over many a foodie as compared to Shek Kee. The standout dishes there are the cold crab, the oyster porridge (must try) and the braised goose which still leaves me with that warm and fuzzy feeling of an excellent meal. 

Lei Garden is located at Hutchison House on the 2nd Floor as I recall.  



The eatery is quite close to the Metropark Hotel just opposite the Tin Hao station.


No comments: