Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Illogical things parents say to their kids



                          With my father, Geoffrey at the Parthenon, Greece in June 1974

As a parent myself, I have always pondered and wondered why when I was young, my Mum Anna or my Por Por would spoon lots of food on our plates and then say, 'finish it up Mark, remember there are many starving children in Africa... (or China) ". That was in the late '60s and early '70s when China was poor. . 

As a young dumb kid, of course I took and ate my fill, and became a plump pre-teen. That was before I started the swimming program.

I don't deny the fact that 1. there are many people today, young children in war torn societies and even in developed USA who are denied 3 proper meals a day. It is a sad development of laissez fair capitalism that many people have ended up at the bottom of the economic rung and have to stay at shelters or even on the streets when once their future looked rosy and bright. 

2. Things have improved for Singapore economically since the late '60s so much so that we are the 3rd "richest" in Gross development Product worldwide.  

However when I think back about what my Mum said, till today, I still cannot understand the logic that if I finished all the food on my plate, then.... what ? 




Mum and Papa circa 1973 outside Tropicana at Scotts Road

The poor starving children will (unfortunately) still be denied the meals.


My guess is that they were playing on my conscience that wasting food is bad. Of course it is. Any form of wastage is bad. We are now all into recycling and reusing things.   

My parents should in actual fact have given me smaller portions, I would still grow up to an adult, albeit a less plump one. if they were so concerned about the starving children, they should have donated some of the money they earned to the many NGOs and charities who actively DO help the needy children here and overseas, instead of making us eat excessively and growing up to be plump unhealthy teenagers. 

Just another random useless musing. 

No comments: