Friday, August 9, 2013

Goodbye Mr. Jansen 1951 - 2013

                          
                                                A great loss to Singapore's Rock Music Scene

    I read yesterday that Mr. Atwell Jansen, the frontman for Singapore's foremost rock band, Heritage, passed away from a freak accident, a fall from his bicycle in Bukit Panjang Nature Reserve on Wednesday 7th August.

    I do not know him personally, but some years ago (2009), I had the good fortune of visiting a pub in Duxton Hill, and with my German friend Frank Rigley, my Malaysian Sales Manager Kannan, we witnessed some awesome rock music from the band Heritage. I was totally blown away that such an iconic band from the 60s and 70s heydays were still plying away at what they do best, making good music. And we had a front row table ! I remember writing a blog post about that visit too.   

   They did fantastic covers of Eric Clapton, The Who, even Queen. Atwell was either on the electronic Violin or played the harmonica while his brother, Jorden was the lead guitarist.

    What a loss, at a relatively young age of 62, 

No comments: