Friday, August 9, 2013

I need to do 2 to 3 x 10 K runs from now on

                                          Before my 25 K run at ECP, in 2010, Newton Run

      This morning, on National Day (Singapore's Independence Day ; 48 years old), I did my 10K run at Dalvey Eastate Road. Nothing spectacular, nothing out of the ordinary, but I remind myself ever so often, " time is running fast away, life is now today today, Up and On" from our School Song. I am 50 turning 51 later this year. So every opportunity to do the things I love to do, like running, I will make time for.  

      I also reflected on some of the articles written years ago by the great runner writer Dr. George Sheehan, and how he would dutifully put pen to paper, and write down how he felt after each run. So today on 9th August, I have again put electronic pen to virtual paper and write down how I am feeling after today's National Day Run. 

     I guess I have been running every National Day for the last 11 years now, when I took up running as a serious hobby. Some were great like today, some were just way too hot, like the time I ran one in 2010 and nearly passed out at East Coast Park.

     Every run is different in the sense that I think about random things, which float into my mind. So today, I thought about my committment to my serious hobby and how in the last 3 marathons (2010 - 2012) I have slowed down from a 4 hours 45 minute marathoner to an over 6 hours 5 minutes marathoner. This is inenvitable, I thought. But, when I pulled out my dairies from the earlier years (2009, 2010), I realised that my timing from those years and the timing now is about the same for 5 Ks and for 10Ks. So what is the problem ? Is it slowing down due to age ?

       I do not think so, it is lack of motivation and insufficient training. I have been cruising these last 2 - 3 years in my training, so much so that it reflected in my run times. I take comfort that the gentleman who was pictured during the Boston Marathon in May (he was on the ground just near the finish line) was a ripe 78 years old. His finishing time, was just over 4 hours.

     What ?   If at 78 he can run slightly below 4 hours or thereabouts, what about a young spring chicken like myself !!  I am 27 years younger !. 

     Its time I picked up the pace of training and achieved much better body conditioning. 

    I will need to do at least 3 - 4 10Ks per week and build up the distance from there. I have barely 4 months to my goal early December. Starting today. No excuses. Just pure endurance and persistance. 

    Let me do it again. 

No comments: