Saturday, August 10, 2013

The feeling after a hard run


     I have just finished a 5 Km run around my estate. I started at 5.03 pm and finished at 5.35 pm, roughly 31 minutes and 40 seconds later. I am recording this down for people who have never experienced the 'runner's high'.

     Firstly, as I approach the bend towards my home, every muscle, every sinew, and my heart, mind are pumping and fixated at the end point of the run. The focus is 110 %, sounds of cars and buses rushing by (the last stretch is by the Main Road) are dimmed, and I am enclosed in my own little world of self motivation, every thought is now on the words "Come On, go for it !!:"  as if my life depended on running this race, as the Best Race of my Life.
I am not sure why, but I drive myself this way, every run, except when I am running with little children, will ultimately end up with me pushing every sinew, every breath to reach the finish line with a great intensity.         

      Once I have reached the finish line, (an imaginary line just outside my house), I realise that my heart is beating like 160 beats per minute, I am gasping for air, and I have discovered  how to make a smart retort to some debate on a point on Facebook. Every sinew is aching, loose, and then I realise,   

     " I am alive, This is me. I have done it "

     The endorphin chemicals start to kick in around 10 minutes after the run, and the feel good aspect of relaxing muscles, more brilliant colours around me, and sounds more acute, make me realise that hey, my five senses are suddenly stimulated to the point that 

     It feels Very Good. 

    Every care or concern of the day or the week has dissipated, and I am transported back to the Carefree days of my youth. No pain, no worries, just happiness and warm fuzzy feelings. 

   At least for a few hours anyway.

    This is the feeling I experience after a hard or long run, especially around 10K or longer.

       

No comments: