Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Physiological Effects after a Long Run



        Seeing the World from a Different Perspective - similar to what I feel after my                                                                      Long Run

This is a piece I wrote sometime in 2006 on a piece of paper, and I think it is still relevant even today. Again it is about my favourite sport, running long distances. Have a look below :

The will to succeed overcomes all obstacles. In short if you want to finish the 42.195 km, you can do it, despite the constraints in time, preparation, work committments and all the other distractions in our fast paced, ever disruptive world.

The key to running swiftly, as the legendary African coach Adolphe Rukenkanya is unity.
Unity of the mind, body and spirit. Only when we have the unity of these disparate elements all in one place , coupled with a clear focus on our goal, can we achieve it and in a good time too. 

For me, running frees the mind to float, to transcend the present, and after sufficient mileage and oxygen intake to achieve the "runners high".

Natural body based chemicals called endorphins, our body's own pleasure generating chemicals are released to that when you look around you, the sky seems so blud, the daylight so bright, the trees so green, the colours so vibrant, the sounds of the birds chirping and the smell of the dew on the grass so fresh, the flowers so fragrant. In short, all my senses are heightened.

I recall some years back, after a long and tiring morning run at Nassim Road, Dalvey Estate Road circuit with my friend Suresh Thennarangam, we stopped to rest and wandered to the nearby Mr. Prata (Indian restaurant serving breakfast) for a hearty breakfast. All sweaty after a 14 km run, the first thing I took was a glass of water.

It felt like champagne trickling down my throat !

The simple thosai food (flour based savoury cake) also felt like 'manna' (food from heaven).

When one's body is parched for food and water, even the simplest things will taste splendid.

The mind is relaxed and calm, I can view all day- to - day problems in a new light, rationally and all issues are not in an 'urgent must reply at all costs' sense of urgency.

Take a long run in the morning, have a cool dip under the shower or jump into the pool. 

That is the essence to a great day. 

No comments: