Sunday, August 6, 2017

La Rambla 7th Dec 2016


The statue of Christopher Columbus, the Italian traveller at the start of Passeig de Colom

Barcelona is one of my favourite cities the world over to visit ; because it is full of historical buildings and artworks from Antoni Gaudi, works from Joan Miro, Chagall, and Salvador Dali to name a few. The weather is typcially Mediterranean, hence not too frosty winters, (sub 10 deg C in December when we visited) and there is sunshine on most days we where there hence, the overall sense of genuine relaxation amidst a cool environment was our major takeaway.

I remember brining my running track pants, putting on at least 2 layers (it was 8 deg C at 6.30 in the morning) and I ran at least 2 times when we were there for 5 days. What a run, early in the morning, from our hotel at the wharf (Port Vell) area, one run had me running all the way from the hotel and due West towards the Port alongside the Montjuic hill and back. All in it was about 45 minutes. The start time of my run gave me a good 'tour' of the empty city.

The second run, also in the morning (we stayed there for 4 nights) was from the hotel, due East, along the Whart towards the Barcenoletta beach and all the way to the 'W' Hotel right at the end of the coastline. This was more memorable with the fact that the crashing Mediterranean waves and the beach was right next to the boardwalk. I had then decided to sign up for a Temperate Country Run (Paris Marathon 2017 - which I sadly did not participate) as I wanted to experience a temperate marathon (low temp and dry humidity) at least once in my lifetime ! 

Ah there is always 2018 ! 


Street artist at La Rambla 

The food, or small degustation menus with the many tapas bars in the Born area was another great highlight of the 5 day visit. Try the house specials and the Vermouth (sweet wine) goes well with practically any seafood or meat based paella (fried rice) especially during the cold winter nights. The streets are full of smartly dressed folk eating and chatting al fresco (in the open air) under the stars and in between 16 - 17th century Roman era cathedrals and fire heaters.

Finally a word of caution, there are plenty of pickpockets. I had my Samsung S7 Edge stolen right under our noses. The steet thiefs are professional and work in teams of 2, 3, 4 or more. So be very aware, wear a money belt, don't carry a full wallet, spread your cards into many places (leave some back in the hotel safe) and always trust no one on the street.

That was the only glitch I had after visiting this wonderfully hospitable city.  

No comments: