Sunday, August 13, 2017

I am a hopeless handyman

I will be the first to say this ; I am hopeless with my hands at fixing things. All my life, though I have managed to play the piano (through rigorous piano lessons for 6 to 7 years), swim decently, practice karate, driving, skiing amongst other things, my big regret is not having the fine dexterity to (nowadays) fit a thread through the eye of the needle, or do basic wiring jobs. I am not a 'hands on' person. 

I can fix most lightbulbs, and connect the 3 wires in the single phase 13A plug. That is about the limit of my handskills. I could possibly blame my family genes, as I remember my late father Geoffrey was a "never lift a finger" figure in the household in the old days when I was growing up.   

So for most house repair works, my phone is on speed dial to my contractor even for the most basic plumbing and window repair jobs. I lack the interest coupled with the non-dexterity and patience to replace (for example) the sliding door latch or even change the toilet seat. 

The height of my manual handiwork was assembling an IKEA (brain dead follow instructions) display cabinet and changing the wheels on my car tyres - though I have not changed tyres for some time (thanks to my being a fully paid up member of Automobile Association of Singapore which provides battery replacement and care tyre replacements for free).    



 Point and shoot photography is the limit of my photographic ability (DUH) 

My typing skills are shameful, most times I still require to look at the QWERTY keyboard typing emails, memos and quotations. In addition, I am a single tasker (as compared to multitasker) so tend to focus on doing one thing with my hands at one time.

Even typing on the WhatsApp keyboard I am still a one hand typist compared to the millenials nowadays who are very adept at 2 finger super speed syntax incorrect god knows what type of English with emoticons. 

Maybe that is my saving grace in this age of disruption ; people still long for the written word to express themselves (people in this context I am referring to me in particular). So I write with my slow typing skills and laborious prose complete with punctuation marks, and thankfully no emoticons or emojis, I am reflective of my generation of baby boomers who still write in complete sentences, and grammatically correct. 

We baby boomers are probably a dying breed. 

Perhaps there is some redemption for being a hopeless handyman, I think I can write /type reasonably well about almost any topic. Whether it is meaningless drivel or provides some entertainment, this blog is my electronic diary about my experiences good and bad, past and present.    


No comments: