Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Christmas 2009 at my place - Last Video of my Parents Anna and Geoffrey



        This is a link to my Youtube Channel where we had the last Christmas in 2009 with my parents still in relatively good health. My dad Geoffrey, passed away on 20th Sept 2010 and my Mum on 8th Jan 2011. The occasion was Christmas 2009 at my house and as the video pans around, there are the Lau family, Uncle Lau is standing with the striped shirt talking to his grandson, their children May (my first cousin,wearing black) standing by the table, 2nd sister Aunty Dona (seated at the head of the table, wearing black with white jacket) to her right is 3rd sister Aunty Mina 9wearing black with white motifs,Lau's wife), Aunty Dona's daugher Wynne Leong (taking a video with her phone), on Aunty Mina's left is Aunty Mona wearing bright yellow blouse, (4th sister) and her husband Uncle Phoon.  

    My mother is wearing yellow and my father is facing opposite her in the wheelchair. The door opens and sis -in - law Ken Wee enters with Hannah (my niece) comes in with a present. Hannah was 5 years old and her booming voice could be heard in the video. My Mum was rather bemused about some present from Hannah and after taking the present (in a plastic bag) put it beside her on the chair. 

    My wife, May is cutting the chocolate cake while the then maid Mary Jane lays some plastic plates (obviously for serving the cake which for celebrating Christmas Day AND my son Noel's 15th birthday).

   In the back on the other side white table are John with my Mum's good friends, Dr. Teo Hoon Cheow, John's friend Dr. Dale Heng, and my friend Patrick Chua. In the near foreground, there is my godbrother, Ramani Muniyandi speaking to David Mitchell, his wife Soo Hoo (in pink) and their daughter Priya.

    In the living area there is Noel (with white T- shirt standing), and Andrew (back facing camera in red T-shirt). The young adults standing by the table are Alex Phoon (Aunt Dona's grandson) pouring some wine, as well as Abigail (wearing the all black ensemble) coming up to Aunty Mona. My cousin May is to the left of Aunty Mina facing the camera at.

       It all seems so trivial and this video is very precious to me and my brother John. 

      Chinese New Year Traditions and Customs
     -----------------------------------------------------------
One of the hallmarks of any Chinese family during Chinese New Year is that the house is noisy and boisterous to 'chase away any evil spirits' as well as bring in the 'new luck'. The house of a Chinese family is normally spruced up, painted, all repairs finished, floors are varnished, good luck posters (like in our house) are put up and there is 'abundance' in the form of overflowing plants (I bought 4 new pots this year !), fresh sprigs of pussy willow, a traditional chinese new year plant and overlfowing oranges symbolising gold ingots (ie. money of course! )

     Well Happy New Year of the Rooster !!!!    

No comments:

Very Good Dry Pork Noodles (Bak Chor Mee) at Evans Road Food Centre

There is a small food centre ( Sprouts Food Place ) by the side of Botanic Gardens and the Swimming Pool, off Evans road and just before Clu...