Thursday, January 19, 2017

I'm having an 80s moment



     The '80s for me was in 2 words, independence and freedom. I had turned 21 in the early '80s and while the Singapore economy was booming from the late '60s till the early '80s, I played no part in it, as I was still a 'dependent' and living off my parents' goodwill. To be honest, I lived a very fortunate life, having had additional exposure to music at a young age (I was taught the piano for 8 years), was disciplined through swimming training  at the Singapore Swimming Club (for 6 years), as well as taking part in rigorous martial arts of karate (at the Palmer Road YMCA) for at least 5 years. 

     The funny thing is that, I have revisited my 'hobbies' of my early days and now am playing tunes on my Yamaha piano, practice karate at least once a week and occasionally swim. I am grateful to my parents for imbibing in me, through these hobbies, a sense of truthfulness, perseverance, and a love for music which is another whole sphere of language - which is universal - and a never say die attitude. 

    Seize the Day.  

     

No comments: