Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Top Quality Cantonese Porridge - Xian Ji at Eng Hoon Street

Best  Cantonese Porridge I have tasted 


     Situated at the coffee shop at Block 75 Eng Hoon Street (opposite Tiong Bahru Bakery) is a fabulous Cantonese style porridge stall serving the best porridge I have tasted in a long time. The porridge is painstakingly cooked and stirred in pots for several hours before it is ready to serve. Run by a pair of sisters, they operate only in the mornings 6 days a week (closed on Monday) - however they have a big fan in me.

    Opening hours are only 3 each day ; from 7am until the porridge runs out of stock most days by 10 am ! Such is the demand for this great tasting porridge that most days if you come by 9am, they are into their final few bowls !! 

    
Xian Ji Pork Porridge 

   The porridge is very smooth, I cannot feel any grain or uneveness in the porridge, Neither is it watery or too thick. That determines the quality of the porridge.  The pot used to prepare the porridge is hidden from view, only the ones to stir and serve.  The porridge is neither too salty not is the condiments too overpowering. It is served just the way I like it, with the pork meat very fresh and add a bit of sesame and pepper and I am like Goldilocks in the Aesops fable ; not too hot, not too cold but just nicely satisfied.

   I have tried the firsh porridge and again the fish slices they use are porperly interspersed into the porridge just before serving. I never was a porridge fan till recently. They in my opinion serve the BEST Cantonese porridge I have ever tasted.


  Fish Porridge 

Price per bowl is approx. $ 5 ; not cheap and $ 6.00 for one with egg. It is a simple luxury I can have every time I crave for porridge. 

Xian Ji ; you have my vote !   4.8 out of 5  stars.  

  




    

No comments: